Our Final Authority
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 06:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The OFA Forum is now closed to new members. Please visit our Facebook and Twitter accounts for ongoing discussions. Current members still have access and use of this site.
10785 Posts in 2501 Topics by 124 Members
Latest Member: nickraw
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Our Final Authority
|-+  Home School
| |-+  Lesson Plans
| | |-+  Pre-school help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-school help  (Read 5663 times)
282Mikado
Crucified

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:27:58 AM »

Our youngest (3 1/2) is most ready to start a pre-school program. He knows his numbers color, letters and more and is very inquisitive. What is a good curriculum for pre-K?
Connie
Administrator
Crucified

Princess, I am a Daughter of The King

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »

We have had a few on here who have home schooled.  I didn't, so I have no idea. I did google preschool homeschool and there was a ton of information came up. You might want to check that out. Of course you can narrow the search to include Independent Baptist or KJV or whatever you want to add. Wink
I hope someone can help you.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me
282Mikado
Crucified

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 02:18:04 PM »

Been there done that. There is a ton of stuff hence the question. We currently use ABEKA for our tenth grader and like it a lot, but Alpha Omega seems to have some good pre-K stuff. We would like to have a program all self-contained to avoid the hassle of multiple suppliers. I guess I was mainly looking for someone who has already tried some of what's out there and can give recommendations.
Connie
Administrator
Crucified

Princess, I am a Daughter of The King

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 02:55:58 PM »

We do have a couple of folks that should be able to help. It may be a few days before they are on. Weekends are normally fairly slow.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me
Kate
Administrator
Crucified

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:21:17 AM »

We used ACE homeschool curriculum (School of Tomorrow) when the boys were that age.  They did VERY well with it.

282Mikado
Crucified

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »

I had looked at them some time ago for my other two. I'll have to look again...
HappyChristian
Messenger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 09:38:44 AM »

Since you are already familiar with ABeka, I would suggest considering that one.  That's what we used for our son when he was 3.  I really liked it.  I stopped liking it so much when he got to second grade, but I think the pre and kindergarten curricula are excellent!
282Mikado
Crucified

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »

What did you not like of Abeka after 2nd grade?
HappyChristian
Messenger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 06:02:42 PM »

What did you not like of Abeka after 2nd grade?
I felt like they started dumbing the math down.  I had taught 1-3rd grade before I was married, and really liked it (ABeka).  But when my son got closer to that age, I noticed that things were beginning to look more like comic books, and it didn't seem as though they were learning as much as they should have (some of it was what they had learned in 1st grade when I was teaching school).  I was not as unhappy with the english curriculum, so stayed with that through 3rd grade (I found something that worked better for us - Beka's english is good).  I have always liked their Science, though.  And their History is good, but I had to add a lot that I felt wasn't included (did that even when I was teaching, but most teachers do, with any curriculum). 

And I wasn't crazy about some of their readers - they had simply bought the copyright from Macmillan, and so some of the stories weren't what we wanted our son to read.  So we went to the library a lot!

I thought I was alone in that opinion, but have since found out that I wasn't.  But there are still people who love ABeka all the way through - I think it's really a personal preference thing.

But as I said before, their pre-k material is good!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

What's the Big Deal About the KJV Bible? free counters