Our Final Authority
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 06:02:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
10789 Posts in 2502 Topics by 129 Members
Latest Member: nickraw
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Our Final Authority
|-+  Defense of the Faith
| |-+  Popular False Teachings
| | |-+  The tithe, a NT myth...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The tithe, a NT myth...  (Read 2644 times)
Preacher Boy
Disciple

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »

I want to be careful how I come across with my view because I don't want to be taken as someone who thinks you shouldn't give at all!

The famous passages from Malachi.

Malachi 3:8-10
(8 ) Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
(9) Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
(10) Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Instead of starting in chapter 3 look at 1:1;

Malachi 1:1 The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.

So lets say I write a letter to my wife- "Dear Kathy, Meet me at noon at Friendlys and I will buy you lunch, Love Bobby".

Someone else gets my note and meets me at friendlys at noon and expects a free lunch. Everything I wrote was true, but to Kathy not you.

In like manner, I can learn much from Malachi, but I need stop as a member of the "church", (I Cor. 10:32), which is not the Jew(I Cor. 10:32),which is not the Gentiles(I Cor. 10:32) and realize the limit of application in my life. Malachi was writing Israel not me as a born again member of the NT Church.

1 Corinthians 10:32  Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

Malachi 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

When have you seen someone that didn't tithe cursed with a curse from the Lord?

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
You cant say the bill collectors are after him because he didn't pay his tithe...he didn't pay his bills like he was supposed to.

That’s called reaping what you sow, not a curse from God.

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Storehouse = A building for keeping grain or goods of any kind; a magazine; a repository; a warehouse. As in Josephs case in Egypt.

When was was the last time you heard testimony of someone who tithed that was at their wits end and couldn't handle all the blessings from the Lord?

--- Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

---2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

--- I have been given the Holy Ghost, gifts of the Spirit, fruit of the Spirit, Everlasting life...etc all whether I tithe or not.

The blessings for those in Malachi had to be earned by tithing.

In conclusion to Malachi a few things are true:

---The Jew was to tithe as a matter of the Law.

---The tithe was brought to one building, the storehouse. Only one, not one in each town.

---The tithe was food to feed the Levites.

---don't tithe and your cursed with a curse, do tithe and you wont be able to handle all the blessings.

None of these things apply to us as redeemed children of God in the New Testament church!
Leviticus 27:30-31
(30) And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.
(31) And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.

The tithe was to be the fruit of the land and if you wanted to tithe cash instead then you had to give an extra 5th part (20%) on top of the 10 %...you never hear preachers preach tithing as 30%

----------------------------------------------------------------
On and on it goes...

We have a work to do! that work will cost money, and it needs to come through God's people from God himself! So how should it happen?

A “tithe or die” preacher condemning you if you don't cough up 10%?

Bake sale and chicken dinners?

Love gifts from the website viewers?

How about Children of God filled with the Holy Ghost giving more than was required from Jews under a Law!

Matthew 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Wrote checks to the penny!

We need to live more for God than Jews were required to by the law!

We have the grace of God ruling in our hearts and need to give so others can be saved by grace through faith in that same Christ we did!

-------------------------------------------------------------

---So how?

2 Corinthians 9:1-15
(1) For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you:
(2) For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many.
(3) Yet have I sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this behalf; that, as I said, ye may be ready:
(4) Lest haply if they of Macedonia come with me, and find you unprepared, we (that we say not, ye) should be ashamed in this same confident boasting.
(5) Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.
(6) But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
(7) Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
(8 ) And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
(9) (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
(10) Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness.
(11) Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
(12) For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;
(13) Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;
(14) And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.
(15) Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

It is my opinion that churches are filled with people who don't love him as they should, So they give according to that love.

Preachers require tithes because they know that the people would give less unless they were required to.

In churches that are actually accomplishing things for God a tithe wont do, there needs to be giving from people who have a purposed heart to love God and spread the Gospel.

-----------------------------

1 Corinthians 16:1-2
(1) Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
(2) Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

--Pay your bills! If you don't you are stealing from those providing goods and services. (Ephesians 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.)

--Take care of your family and lay up for the future!
2 Corinthians 12:14  Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

After you have taken care of what God commanded what you have left is prosperity, will you spend it on self or God?

PS. don't think that if you give God 5 bucks for missions he will give you 10 for your lust (common theology among TV preachers). When you give to God he will give you more so that you can give more to his work!
LindaR
Messenger

Amazing Grace

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »

I want to be careful how I come across with my view because I don't want to be taken as someone who thinks you shouldn't give at all!

The famous passages from Malachi.

Malachi 3:8-10
(8 ) Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
(9) Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
(10) Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Instead of starting in chapter 3 look at 1:1;

Malachi 1:1 The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.

So lets say I write a letter to my wife- "Dear Kathy, Meet me at noon at Friendlys and I will buy you lunch, Love Bobby".

Someone else gets my note and meets me at friendlys at noon and expects a free lunch. Everything I wrote was true, but to Kathy not you.

In like manner, I can learn much from Malachi, but I need stop as a member of the "church", (I Cor. 10:32), which is not the Jew(I Cor. 10:32),which is not the Gentiles(I Cor. 10:32) and realize the limit of application in my life. Malachi was writing Israel not me as a born again member of the NT Church.

1 Corinthians 10:32  Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

Malachi 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

When have you seen someone that didn't tithe cursed with a curse from the Lord?

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
You cant say the bill collectors are after him because he didn't pay his tithe...he didn't pay his bills like he was supposed to.

That’s called reaping what you sow, not a curse from God.

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Storehouse = A building for keeping grain or goods of any kind; a magazine; a repository; a warehouse. As in Josephs case in Egypt.

When was was the last time you heard testimony of someone who tithed that was at their wits end and couldn't handle all the blessings from the Lord?

--- Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

---2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

--- I have been given the Holy Ghost, gifts of the Spirit, fruit of the Spirit, Everlasting life...etc all whether I tithe or not.

The blessings for those in Malachi had to be earned by tithing.

In conclusion to Malachi a few things are true:

---The Jew was to tithe as a matter of the Law.

---The tithe was brought to one building, the storehouse. Only one, not one in each town.

---The tithe was food to feed the Levites.

---don't tithe and your cursed with a curse, do tithe and you wont be able to handle all the blessings.

None of these things apply to us as redeemed children of God in the New Testament church!
Leviticus 27:30-31
(30) And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.
(31) And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.

The tithe was to be the fruit of the land and if you wanted to tithe cash instead then you had to give an extra 5th part (20%) on top of the 10 %...you never hear preachers preach tithing as 30%

----------------------------------------------------------------
On and on it goes...

We have a work to do! that work will cost money, and it needs to come through God's people from God himself! So how should it happen?

A “tithe or die” preacher condemning you if you don't cough up 10%?

Bake sale and chicken dinners?

Love gifts from the website viewers?

How about Children of God filled with the Holy Ghost giving more than was required from Jews under a Law!

Matthew 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Wrote checks to the penny!

We need to live more for God than Jews were required to by the law!

We have the grace of God ruling in our hearts and need to give so others can be saved by grace through faith in that same Christ we did!

-------------------------------------------------------------

---So how?

2 Corinthians 9:1-15
(1) For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you:
(2) For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many.
(3) Yet have I sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this behalf; that, as I said, ye may be ready:
(4) Lest haply if they of Macedonia come with me, and find you unprepared, we (that we say not, ye) should be ashamed in this same confident boasting.
(5) Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.
(6) But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
(7) Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
(8 ) And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
(9) (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
(10) Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness.
(11) Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
(12) For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;
(13) Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;
(14) And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.
(15) Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

It is my opinion that churches are filled with people who don't love him as they should, So they give according to that love.

Preachers require tithes because they know that the people would give less unless they were required to.

In churches that are actually accomplishing things for God a tithe wont do, there needs to be giving from people who have a purposed heart to love God and spread the Gospel.

-----------------------------

1 Corinthians 16:1-2
(1) Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
(2) Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

--Pay your bills! If you don't you are stealing from those providing goods and services. (Ephesians 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.)

--Take care of your family and lay up for the future!
2 Corinthians 12:14  Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

After you have taken care of what God commanded what you have left is prosperity, will you spend it on self or God?

PS. don't think that if you give God 5 bucks for missions he will give you 10 for your lust (common theology among TV preachers). When you give to God he will give you more so that you can give more to his work!

Amen Preacher Boy!  Well said!

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ()
Lee
Administrator
Crucified

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:01:47 AM »

Genesis 14:17-20
17 And the king of Sodom went out to meet him after his return from the slaughter of Chedorlaomer, and of the kings that were with him, at the valley of Shaveh, which is the king's dale. 18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. 19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: 20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Hebrews 6:19-20
Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; 20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Abraham gave tithes to Melchisedec before Moses and before the law. There was a system of sacrifices to God long before God called out Abraham to separate himself from his kin and go to a far country. Jesus is a Priest after the order of Melchisedec thus we should bring our tithes and offerings to the Lord.

Matthew 16:18
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus established and ordained the Church to represent Him on earth. The Church is made up of born again believers and the Church was to meet in local assemblies to carry out the commandments and ordinances that were given to them by Christ. Therefore we should bring our tithes and offerings to a local New Testament Assembly (Local Church) so that this work can be carried out under the supervision of a called of God and ordained Pastor.

We should not expect or look for our rewards for obedient service down here because our rewards are laid up for us in heaven.

Matthew 16:27
For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Colossians 3:24
Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Revelation 22:12
And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

But in a way I agree with you in that as born again Christians we should not look at how much we give, we should simply turn everything over to God. Everything that we are stewards over including our money and all of our possessions should be used expressly for the purpose of glorifying God. It is only then that we become fully in Him and obedient to His Will. I have never met anyone like that, but I have read about them in the New Testament (All of the Apostles and most of the early Christians)! Like every other Christian that I know, I still use some things in ways that do not glorify God, including the way that I spend the money that He blesses me with. This lets me know that I am not fully matured yet as a Christian and that I need to work harder to grow in faith and to strive for greater humility and obedience in my life.  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:08:20 AM by Lee » Logged

Isaiah 6:5
Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.
pacioratas
Messenger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »

Tithing is for babies.  Now, there is nothing wrong with being a baby when you are newborn, but sooner or later, you need to grow up. (Heb 5:12-14)

The spiritually mature Christian will be a "faith giver", giving far above the tithe!  (2 Cor 8:1-12).

As has already been stated, tithing was seen before the law (Abraham and Melchizedek - Genesis 9:18-20).  Tithing was then formalized in the law (Lev 27:30, etc).  Tithing was abused by the Jews in the day of Christ as an opportunity to make a show (Mark 12:41-44). The Pharisees turned tithing into a badge of superiority (Matt 23:23).  But, tithing was still commended by Jesus (Matt 23:23 "these ought ye to have done...").

The objection of the original post is valid when you ask when the last time you met anyone with too many blessings because of tithing?  The answer lies in verse 1 of Malachi 3, but not for the reason you stated.   The key to abundance is when everyone tithes, then the nation is blessed with abundance!  There is blessings for the individual because the principle is valid... rob God and be cursed, give to God and be blessed.  But the fulfillment of the promise is national blessing when the people as a whole are faithful to give to God.

One last thought, many of the OT laws and instructions were fulfilled in Jesus and are no longer binding on Christians (blood sacrifices, ceremonial edicts of washing hands, dietary laws, etc).  But, the categories that are no longer binding are addressed in the NT to give us guidance.  However, no where in the NT is the principle of tithing overturned, other than the indication that "grace giving" would cause us to go beyond the tithe.

So, the tithe is for beginners.  But grow in grace, and your giving will grow with it.

"There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High." Psalm 46:4
Born Crucified
Messenger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »

A few months back, I wrote this article on Tithing...

Will A Man Rob God?

On any given Sunday, there will be Pastor’s who will stand behind the pulpit and will preach a well-known message out of the 3rd Chapter of the last book of the Old Testament, Malachi.

“Will a man ROB GOD?,” will boom through the air with emphasis on ‘rob God.’ Many preacher’s will put the emphasis on ‘rob God’ to instill an automatic fear into the very minds of the hearer. It causes the automatic cringing of the people the preacher wants to put in a spirit of condemnation.

“Yet YOU HAVE ROBBED ME. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for YE HAVE ROBBED ME, even this whole nation.”

Every single believer in the congregation who is not placing money in a tithe envelope and placing it in the offering plate is automatically pointed out by this man (figuratively) who is supposed to be speaking for God as being robbers and are therefore under a curse which will NEVER BE LIFTED as long as one is disobedient to God.

This is why it is important for each and every person who has been adopted into the family of God by faith in the substitutionary blood of Jesus Christ on the cruel cross of Calvary to “Study to shew thyself approved unto God a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth. Jesus said in John 17 during His prayer to His Father acknowledging all that the Father gave Him these wonderful words that we all need to embrace and realize that He wants us to study diligently; “Sanctify them through Thy Truth; Thy Word is Truth.”

Once we learn that it is God’s Holy Word that sanctifies, that sets us apart from the world, that separates us from false teachings, then we have a responsibility to study that Word and begin to apply its truths to our walk. When we walk according to the Word of God, we will not be so easily swayed by preachers who do not study as they should.

Oh, but the preacher has doctorates given him by a famous seminary that has turned out many wonderful men of God! Don’t be fooled, Brethren. The only thing that will turn out a wonderful man of God is God Himself.

And the best place to go to learn who God is and what He expects of man is to the very Words of God… The Holy Bible.

In the accusation of man robbing God in today’s Christian community, a charge is generally given out of Malachi that not only was not speaking of money, but it was not speaking of the Gentile nations at all.
The Gentile nations were not required to tithe according to God's Word.

Let’s begin to look into the passage and learn what God is truly addressing when the prophet Malachi said “Will a man rob God? But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.”
First off, we must address who is being spoken to in the passage. It will shock many to realize that it was to the Israelite’s.

Look at verse five:

Malachi 3:5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.

Clearly, God is speaking about specific people here that are doing the robbing! Those who oppress or defraud their employees (servants), those who defraud the widows, the orphans, and that turn aside the stranger from his right. To see exactly what is meant here since it is speaking of tithes, we must go into the Book of Deuteronomy:

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always. And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee: Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household, And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee. At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Here, we learn more than just one wonderful truth.

1. We learn that the tithe was “all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.” The tithe was a yearly event, not weekly.
2. We learn that the tithe was to be eaten.
3. We learn that the purpose of the tithe is that the Israelites learn to revere the LORD their God.
4. If the tithe was too heavy to carry to the destination that the Lord had chose to place His name, the tithe could be sold for money. This tells us the tithe was not money as many have been taught in many Churches across the world.
5. Once the tither arrived at the destination that the Lord had chose to place His name, the money was to be used to buy the tithe that was to be eaten there before the Lord.
6. On every 3rd year, the tithe was not to be taken to the Levite’s who worked in the Tabernacle, but rather, the tithe was to be kept on one’s own property to feed the Levite that was living on one’s property, the widow, the orphans, and any stranger that happened to be on one’s land at the time of the tithe. These people were fed the third year tithe.
7. The Levite's that worked at the Tabernacle were the only one's who were qualified to receive the tithe of the tither for the sole purpose of their sustenance. The tithe was to be given to them because they were not allowed to own their own any property on which they could raise crops or herd livestock.

If the principle set forth in the Book of Deuteronomy was followed, the LORD God promised to bless the one who tithed of the work of his hand.

When one reads Malachi 3:5 in light of Deuteronomy 14:22-29, we see that the tither was not following God’s command concerning the 3rd year tithe!.

When God said, Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it, He was telling the tither to take his grains and meats, his foodstuff, into the barn so that there would be food for the Levite, the widow, the orphan, and the stranger living on the tither’s land.
If the tither would do this, God would cause the windows of heaven to open, the rain to fall, and the crops to increase in such a way that the tither would have more than he needed for his own self.
Born Crucified
Messenger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »

I might also add that while Jesus did indeed commend the Pharisee for tithing, it must be noticed that the Pharisee was not said to tithe money, only herbs and spices.  If money were supposed to have been tithed, would not Jesus have said you tithed of your crops but forgot to tithe your money too?  Or would have listed it in the list of items tithed by the Pharisee?

Fact is, only crops and herds were tithed, and if one did not own property one was not required to tithe.  (See Numbers 18)
Preacher Boy
Disciple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 10:29:21 PM »

There seems to be a mystical transformation from OT to NT with many preachers.

The storehouse mystically turn into the church.

The tithe mystically turned from goods to cash.

The receiver mystically turned from the priest to the church bank account...

LindaR
Messenger

Amazing Grace

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »

Bump!

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ()
282Mikado
Crucified

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »

Okay...let's bump this old subject where no man's mind is going to be changed, but hey, it's always a good argument starter, so let's go!

Earlier in this thread Mark 12 is brought up as an example of how tithing was abused and it states that the woman brought "two mites , which make a farthing":

Mark 12:41-44
44 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. 42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. 43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: 44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

So was that a farthing of wheat or a farthing of barley?

Here is a fact: In agrarian societies it was common practice to trade using livestock, produce, grains, etc. in lieu of printed/minted money. They were doing this in this country even into the 20th century. They are still doing it in less developed countries.

So let me ask you a question, if a person was to bring an "offering" to the church in one of these countries that consisted of nothing but livestock (because it is all they have) should the church turn it away because "that's not how it's done today!"? How many early churches were truly blessed through the generous offerings of livestock and produce in lieu of money? What a shame. All of those blessings were really lost because "that's just not how we do things after the cross".

Here's the deal as I see it. Give with an cheerful heart unto the Lord! Whether you call it tithings, offerings, donations, gifts, oblations, or anything else...WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!! Give with a cheerful heart unto the Lord. Whether it be 5%, 10%, 15% or a mixed bag....WHO CARES!!!!!!!!! that is between you and the Lord...Be a cheerful giver unto the Lord!

This constant argument over whether it should be called tithing or not is inane. When we get to Heaven I don't think God is going to care if a generous soul with a right heart called his offering "tithing", but I bet if someone gives all he has as a vain oblation and calls it an offering, God will cast it aside. Isaiah 1:13
Born Crucified
Messenger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »

Mark 12 is not about tithes, read that passage again

The clue is the word "treasury".

The tithe was never put in the treasury, it was took to Levitical cities.  The Levites in turn would take it to storehouses, sillos if you will.

Money was kept in treasuries.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:00:26 PM by Born Crucified » Logged
282Mikado
Crucified

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:24 PM »

Actually, I made reference to that because "pacioratas" used it in that context. I have always see it as an offering, but ultimately it doesn't really matter one way or the other. Both tithes and offerings are offered up to the Lord.

My point is that arguing over something like "are we calling it tithing or not" is inane? Did you read the rest of my comment or did you only focus on the one nit you could pick?

Arguing about whether it should be called tithing or not is about as useful as arguing about the Gap Theory. Most mature, sincere Christians are probably giving at least 10% or more whether they call it tithes, offerings, gifts, or whatever else. Is God going to look on my offering less than yours because I happen to still use the word "tithe". If so then I guess the blood of Christ isn't all sufficient (No disrespect intended, I am only making a point). Or perhaps I will get to heaven and God will say, "Here I had 10 crowns for you, but you insisted on calling your offerings "tithes". I am sorry, you can only have 5 crowns". Somehow I don't see that as likely. Perhaps the missionaries that are supported through my tithes and offerings are really only effective with that portion of my money that goes in as offerings and the tithe portion is just wasted away. Again, I don't think that is likely.

Give with a joyful heart unto the Lord and He will accept it whatever you call it. You can call it offerings all you want; if it is offered insincerely, it is of no affect in Heaven.

For the record, I use the terms gifts and offerings and do not specifically call any of my offerings "tithes", but in the end, it doesn't really matter what they are called, it's the heart condition that matters.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:35:07 PM by 282Mikado » Logged
Celina Rose
Witness

His lovingkindness is BETTER than life.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »

Mark 12 is not about tithes, read that passage again

The clue is the word "treasury".

The tithe was never put in the treasury, it was took to Levitical cities.  The Levites in turn would take it to storehouses, sillos if you will.

Money was kept in treasuries.

Why do they keep the money in treasuries?

What is treasury by the way? In those days, I mean?
Is that like a BANK? or like a REVENUE-COLLECTING AGENCY, TAX?

========

When Bro Dan shared to me how he viewed that Christians are not under tithing, I studied a little bit about it.
Then, as I try to see that Israel is Israel and the Church is Church,
I realized that he's right.

Hmmm..
We cannot spiritualize one verse if we don't like it, and take something literally because we prefer it.
:) If the kingdom of God is for little children, the Lord made sure that even little kids may understand His word.

Here's how I understand it.

Genesis 28
20   And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
21   So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
22   And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

Jacob/Israel, VOWED to give a tenth of his harvest that THE LORD shall give unto him and in Ecclesiastes... we know that the Lord takes hold on every oath and every vowed made to Him.

Tenth of ALL that ISRAEL gets, belongs to the Lord.

But aren't the blessings of all the people who have the same of faith as Abraham considered as his children?

But that doesn't mean we have become ISRAEL.

Yes, the same blessings that was for Abraham's children is also now available for those who believes in Christ.
But, it is ABRAHAM not Jacob.

Am I saying we shouldn't give?

No. Actually the opposite. We should consider all that we have as owned by the church.
We are abundantly given grace by the Lord, we should be gracious too.

Jesus was selfless... We strive to be more like Him..

2 Corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

Let all CREATION praise Him.. :)

Adopted Daughter of the Most High God

CELINA ROSE

Ezekiel 16:8
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

What's the Big Deal About the KJV Bible? free counters